Friday, September 28, 2012

Beer Battered Squash Blossoms with Herbed Garden Tomato Sauce


Beer Battered Ricotta Basil Stuffed Squash Blossoms with Herbed Garden Tomato  Sauce

I honestly can't decide what I like more, the actually zuchini itself or its' succulent blossoms. Squash blossoms are incredibly divine, and outright orgasmic. Yes, warning: eating these tempura beer battered squash blossoms could possibly be a tastefully pleasurable experience. When the first blossoms appear on my squash plants, my mouth begins to salivate and I head to liquor store immediately to purchase a Corona or Tecate bomber for my beer batter tempura. For about a week straight, I make this dish daily. Its all out indulgence until, well, somethings' gotta give!  One can't eat fried food everyday, so eventually I have to force myself off the squash blossom bender. This recipe is officially my favorite creation out of my garden. Its' that good.
        Sweet ripe heirloom tomatoes cooked with garden fresh herbs make the perfect sauce and only fresh garden tomatoes are allowed to be served. These battered delectables would be incredibly offended if grocery store GMO 'tomato' grossness was put onto their plate. They are regal and they deserve only the garden fresh best. Any type of squash blossoms work fine for stuffing. Larger Pumpkin blossoms are my favorite shining with their own unique flavor.


The steps in preparation: 
1. Gently fill flowers with ricotta basil filling using a pastry bag
2. Dip and coat filled squash blossoms in batter 
3. Place in hot oil and fry till golden brown
4. Let cool slightly on paper towels


Ricotta Basil Filling
mix together the following ingredients in a small bowl:
1 1/2c Ricotta cheese
7 fresh basil leaves, minced
1/4t fresh grated nutmeg
fresh cracked pepper to taste

Tempura Beer Batter
whisk the following together in a small bowl:
3/4c unbleached, white flour
1/2c non GMO cornstarch
1t baking soda
6oz mexican lager beer (i.e. corona or tecate)
1t apple cider vinegar
pinch of sea salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Herbed Garden Tomato Sauce
in small, thick bottomed saucepan saute the following:
2T butter
2cloves of garlic
2c chopped ripe, fresh garden tomatoes (heirloom varieties preferable)
2t agave nectar
7 leaves fresh rosemary, minced
4 leaves fresh basil, minced
1T chives, minced
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Simmer on low for 10 minutes, just enough time for the flavors to combine. Take off heat until serving time.

To assemble and finish:
12 squash blossoms 
1-2 cups safflower, virgin palm oil, or virgin coconut oil

Put Ricotta Basil filling in a pastry bag fitted with a large tip. Gently fill each blossom using pastry bag. Twist ends of blossom to enclose filling. Heat 1 cup of oil to start in a small iron skillet. Alternatively, use a fry daddy and fill with oil as needed. Dip blossoms, one at a time, in batter, coat thoroughly and then place in hot oil. Fry 4-5 blossoms at a time, turning them over once. When lightly browned, they are done. Add more oil to skillet as needed. Place onto paper towels to drain off excess oil. When all blossoms are done, serve with herbed garden tomato sauce.



2 comments:

  1. A lot of people thought squash blossoms have awful taste but I don't. Ever since I was a kid, my mom used to cook us dinner that contains this healthy squash blossoms. Now I know another recipe and thanks to you! I'll probably use 1-2 cups of virgin coconut oil when I make this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie-
    I think that frying them in virgin coconut oil is a great idea and would add another fabulous layer of taste. I don't understand how anyone could describe the taste of squash blossoms as "awful"! Cheers to squash blossom love and enjoy the recipe

    ReplyDelete